In popular culture it is said that “food comes first through the eyes” and is a phrase that could not be more true. It is proven that the visual appeal of a dish is a determining factor for the dining experience of the guests. A detail that has taken a lot of force and for which there is a method known as plating technique.
It is not just about cooking and putting the food on a plate, it must please the sight, and has to attract the person pushing him to try the recipe. The plating technique more than a plate of food seems a work of art based on flavors and aromas.
The different plating techniques
There are different types of gourmet plate, too many to talk about all in a single article, but we can name them to know them.
- Symmetrical installation.
- Rhythmic display.
- Triangular or rhomboidal composition.
- Asymmetric composition.
- Horizontal installation.
- Emplatado by rule of the thirds.
- Composition in scale.
- Dish design with curved lines.
- Transverse installation.
All these styles have in common the same elements with which to play in the presentation of the dish, the difference is in how they are ordered and which element gains more prominence in each style. The elements are: color, layout, volume and decoration.
Now, the most basic rules to get a good plating tell us that:
- There must be harmony between all the mentioned elements. Combinate the texture and color trying not collide.
- In the composition there must be unity, achieving a cohesion that builds such a good structure on the plate.
- Harmony of color, can be achieved using a chromatic wheel to determine which combination of colors is preferable.
- You have to define a focal point, a point that serves to direct the guest’s gaze directly to where we are interested.
- A good plating should have movement, that is, the direction that the eye follows until reaching the focal point of the dish. You can use compositions in curves, zigzags, triangulations, diagonals and other strategies that serve to give fluidity to the elements.
- Get a little height to give volume, whenever is possible.
- Do not damage the texture of the elements on the plate, it must be preserved or failing to highlight to create a unique visual and gustatory experience.
Following these tips, and with a little of practice and a lot of creativity, you can achieve different styles of original, elegant, clean and very creative dishes. Such as those you can find in the menu of our restaurant in the Eixample dret.
Make your reservation and enjoy our exquisite seasonal recipes.
We will wait for you!